Saturday, January 17, 2009

IT'S REALLY WARM ALMOST HOT!!!!!!!!!!!

We are having record breaking temperatures for January in Alaska. About half of our snow is gone. (This is a first. It is always here until at least April.)It has been in the high 40's for the past 4 days. This is bad news because the snow is melting and the forcast states it is supposed to get cold again this will present a problem for wells, sewers and other pipes that have running water in them. The snow acts as an insulation during the winter and therefore the pipes do not freeze. Well, when the snow is gone and the temp is cold enough, our well, sewer and our pipes will freeze. YIKES!
The reason we still have half the snow is because the ground is still forzen, therefor, keeping the snow cold and only the top gets warm enough to melt.
Also this causes other problems for our driveway. I had to shovel snow today because all the snow fell off our roof. I was told this wouldn't happen until April or even May. I had to use my four wheel drive to get into the garage last night. This morning I would have had to put on chains, which we don't own.
Well, so much for getting a picture of the sign about thawing your car.
This is "before" I started shoveling. (I forgot to take a before picture so I took a picture of what I didn't shovel.)

This is after

1 comment:

jill said...

Hey veronica! I know this is really random, but could you please email me at jillthornby@gmail.com? They called me to be the seminary teacher in the ward, and I have a few questions about the calling and whatnot. (I was told you were the teacher for a very short time) Thanks!